1.6. Variations of the main lifts
It's common to include variations of the main lifts in the yearly training. They serve multiple purposes.
- They can be used as teaching mechanisms.
- They help avoid habituation.
- They change the order of motor unit recruitment.
- They can stress a lagging part of the movement or muscle.
- Fifth - and not to be scoffed at - they can make the training more interesting. Psychology, mainly in the form of motivation, is a large component of effective planning.
Later in this manual you will see recommendations of variations for all three powerlifts and their purpose. It shouldn't be considered an exhaustive list. Such a list would be much too long to include.